Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I don't do windows, (But I do window casing)

After spending a few weeks on the outside of the windows (read: scraping, heatgun, sanding, painting) gettting them ready for the new windows. I began to tackle the insides today. The previous owner decided not to shim up the 2 x 4's with lathe before installing drywall (nor insulating for that matter) This made my job 100 times harder. I had to glue an extra 1/2" to the edges of the new butterfly moulding so that when they sat on the window jam, it would sit up against the wall. One window down, 5 more to go. (on the first floor, 14 on the second floor still left to do)


130 feet of new moulding and homemade inside window stop. No need to buy rosettes, when you can buy a cutter for your drill press. In a few days, I'll post a how to on making your own. (and save lots of dough doing it) Once you make about 5 or 6 of them, it's paid for it's self.


You can see the PO painted a nice pink on the walls, that had to go. The first thing I need to do is cut away into the old weight pockets to be able to stuff insulation. I wish they would sell the spray foam that contractors use. Those cans do not go very far. It's a lot easier to stuff regular insulation in the cavities.


Finished product. New window sill, apron, window stops, rosettets and casing. Poplar sure paints up nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home